Historic Hyde Park represents the collaboration between the Franklin D. Roosevelt Library and Museum and the Roosevelt-Vanderbilt National based in Hyde Park, New York. Each has a unique mission, but they are united in their dedication to extending the legacy of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt to new generations. Scroll down for details about each site.
Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library & Museum
The FDR Library is one of our nation’s thirteen presidential libraries administered by the National Archives and Records Administration. Designed by FDR himself, it is the first presidential library and the only one ever used by a sitting president.
Over time, the Library attempted to keep pace with evolving professional standards for the preservation and storage of historical documents and artifacts. As the years passed, however, it became apparent that to adequately protect these valuable materials while remaining committed to public access, the Library would have to both renovate and expand its facilities.
On March 11, 2009 the Library was informed that they would receive $17.5 million from the federal budget to begin renovation of the library. With the exception of the Eleanor Roosevelt Wings added in 1972, this would be the first major renovation of the Library structure since it opened in 1941.
By May 2010, the renovation was underway. Long overdue, this renovation preserved the Library’s historical appearance while bringing the building up to National Archives’ standards for the long-term preservation of historic collections. New drainage, plumbing, and roofing systems and new electrical, security, fire protection and other systems address longstanding facility problems. Museum visitors and researchers now enjoy improved amenities, including, for the first time, full accessibility for people in wheelchairs. New permanent museum exhibits were installed with $6 million in private funds raised by the Roosevelt Institute, the Library’s non-profit partner.
On June 30, 2013 a grand rededication ceremony marked the public opening of the newly renovated Library and Museum, taking place exactly 72 years after FDR’s original dedication in 1941.
The Roosevelt Library archive is the premier research center in the world for study and research of the Roosevelt era. It contains more than 17 million pages of documents, photographs, books, and audiovisual materials, including the papers of President and Mrs. Roosevelt and more than 375 of their associates.
The FDR Library also operates the Henry A. Wallace Visitor and Education Center, which serves all visitors to the Roosevelt site with its orientation exhibits and film, visitor amenities, conference and education facilities, The New Deal Store which is open daily, and Uncle Sam’s Canteen, which is open April 1 through mid-November.
The Library’s Digital Archive, created in partnership with Marist College, contains more than 15,000 digitized archival documents, public domain photographs, and finding aids.
Hours of Operation
- 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., November – March
- 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., April – October.
We are closed on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day.
For weather-related updates, please call (845) 486-1143 to check the Library’s operational status.
Explore our Museum exhibits from anywhere in the world
|Audio Description Guide
For Museum visitors who are blind or have low vision
The FDR Presidential Library and Museum and the Home of Franklin D. Roosevelt (operated by the National Park Service) offer an $18.00 joint admission ticket. The Home tour is guided by a park ranger and the Library tour is self guided. These tickets are valid for 2 days.
A ticket to visit only the Presidential Library and Museum is available for $9.00.
The Library offers a special senior rate of $6.00 for visitors age 62 or over.
Children 15 and under are always free.
For further information visit the Library website or contact the Library at 1-800-FDR-VISIT.
Home of Franklin D. Roosevelt National Historic Site
The National Park Service administers the Home of Franklin D. Roosevelt National Historic Site, Roosevelt’s Top Cottage retreat, and the Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic Site at Val-Kill. President Roosevelt bequeathed his 35-room home, Springwood and much of his Hudson River property to the federal government as a gift to the American people in 1945. Eleanor Roosevelt’s home at Val-Kill, where she lived from 1945 until her death in 1962, opened in 1984 as the first National Historic Site dedicated to a First Lady. The combined Roosevelt historic sites comprise more than 800 acres of the original 1500-acre family estate.
• Guided tours and educational programs are conducted daily at Springwood.
• Guided tours and educational programs daily at Val-Kill May through June, and Thursday through Monday the rest of the year.
• The extensive grounds include walking trails and the Rose Garden where the President and Mrs. Roosevelt are buried.
• A fee is charged for tours of the historic buildings.
• Access to the property is available dawn to dusk at no charge.
Open seven days a week, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Guided tours throughout the day leave from the Wallace Center with the last guided tour at 4:00 pm. Specific tour times will be updated at the Wallace Center daily.
Tram service, operates seven days a week, from May 30th. 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Tram can hold up to 15 passengers and travels between the Wallace Center, FDR Library, and FDR Home, mostly following the guided tours. NPS provides this service for people who have difficulty in walking, but is available to all who want to use the service. Tram does not operated during server weather and lightning storms.
Open seven days a week. Top Cottage programs begin at the Wallace Center. Program times are 11:10 am, 1:10 pm, and 3:10 pm. Top Cottage is accessible by the NPS shuttle bus only (called the Roosevelt Ride). The NPS shuttle bus is wheelchair accessible. Programs are limited to 20 or less people.
Vanderbilt Mansion National Historic Site
The National Park Service also administers the Vanderbilt Mansion, designated a National Historic Site by Act of Congress in 1939 and recognized by President Roosevelt as one of the oldest and best preserved country places in the Northern United States. Several prominent architects, landscape designers and interior decorators designed the estate for Frederick and Louise Vanderbilt. The grounds include formal gardens, specimen trees and stunning views of the Hudson River and Catskill Mountains. Tours are offered daily.
Vanderbilt Mansion National Historic Site, historically known as Hyde Park, is one of the oldest and most venerable Hudson River estates. For nearly two centuries, this place has been home to socially prominent New Yorkers. Frederick Vanderbilt purchased the property in 1895 and hired the architects McKim, Mead & White to design a new house of exceptional quality. Today, Vanderbilt Mansion National Historic Site remains one of the nation’s premier monuments of the Gilded Age.
Open seven days a week, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Guided tours throughout the days with the last guide tour at 4:15 pm. Specific tour times will be updated at the Vanderbilt Visitor Center daily.
Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Years Day.
The grounds are free and open everyday from sunrise to sunset.
Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic Site
Val-Kill commemorates the life and work of an outstanding woman in American history and the issues to which she was devoted.Eleanor Roosevelt accomplished so much: First Lady for twelve years, a champion of Human Rights, a skilled diplomat and a prolific writer. But even “the First Lady of the World” has to have some down time. And Val-Kill, her country retreat in Hyde Park, New York is the place that Mrs. Roosevelt called “home.”
Because Eleanor had never had a home of her own, and because this beautiful spot was where the Roosevelt family came to picnic and enjoy themselves, it was the place where FDR built her “a home of her own.” Here too, she enjoyed both privacy and socializing, inviting her own guests, including world figures such as John F. Kennedy and Soviet President Nikita Khrushchev, away from the formality of Springwood, the Roosevelt family home.
You can’t help but be affected by Eleanor Roosevelt’s story through your visit to Val-Kill. There is a wonderful orientation film and a Ranger-guided tour that brings you closer to this remarkable woman. If you would like to experience the active life that she enjoyed here, consider building your trip around some good hikes. From Val-Kill you can hike up the hill to Top Cottage, FDR’s own personal retreat, or you take the recently restored Roosevelt Farm Lane trail to the Home of FDR National Historic Site and the Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library and Museum.
Since 2014, Stone Cottage, Eleanor Roosevelt’s personal retreat has been renovated and reinterpreted to present new exhibits: Eleanor Roosevelt and Val-Kill: Emergence of a Political Leader expands visitors’ knowledge of Eleanor Roosevelt and explain how the “picnic diplomacy” that she and Franklin practiced at Val-Kill was influential in the development of Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal programs.
Eleanor Roosevelt didn’t start out to be an activist, feminist and humanitarian icon, she simply explored her own interests and those of her friends in the era where women had only just achieved the right to vote. The story of how she became one of the most influential women of the 20th century is rooted in the time that she spent at Val-Kill in the 1920s and 30s and this story – Eleanor Roosevelt and Val-Kill: Emergence of a Political Leader – shaped her as the leader she became.
For further information visit the websites for the Franklin D. Roosevelt National Historic Site, Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic Site at Val-Kill and the Vanderbilt Mansion or contact the National Park Service at 1-800-FDR-VISIT.
Val-Kill Cottage- Open seven days a week. (May 1- 15, Val-Kill Cottage will be open for guide tours in the afternoon only from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm) Starting May 16, Val-Kill will be open for guided tours throughout the day from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm with the last guided tour of the day at 4:00 pm
Stone Cottage- Open seven days a week. (May 1- 15, Stone Cottage will be open for viewing in the afternoon only from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm) Starting May 16, Stone Cottage will be open for viewing throughout the day from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Tram service, begins Sunday May, 30. and will operates seven days a week, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Tram can hold up to 7 passengers and travels between the Val-Kill parking lot and the Val-Kill Visitor Center. NPS provides this service for people who have difficulty in walking, but is available to all who want to use the service. Tram does not operated during server weather and lightning storms.